Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tom Hanson 1949-2008

Our good friend, Tom died suddenly on Monday. His wife called us on our cell while we were nestled in a pine forest in Eastern Arizona.
Tom was an artist and one of the most decent people we've known. Truly one of the good men. We saw him every day. Sometimes I'd say, "Hey, Tom, what are you going to do when you retire?" He'd say, "Get back to my art."
We decided this morning to continue our trip. Tom would have insisted. "Go, see art, live life," he would have said. We're cutting things short to be home with Cynthia and be at his services.
I saw Tom just before we left home. He gave Annie a treat and said, "You have fun, Annie. We'll miss you!" To me he said, "Drive carefully. Be safe."
You too, Tom, you too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sad reminder that life is fragile. How tender that he left behind folks who appreciated his spirit.

Anonymous said...

we are so sad to hear this. is this the dad of the two sweet dogs that annie hangs with regularly and with whom she stayed when you were in the desert recently?

Katie Bowen said...

It sounds as if the world has lost a very special man. I'm so sorry for all who loved him.

AMGallegos said...

That's too sad. I'm sorry for your and everybody's loss.

Anonymous said...

Tom was a Great Guy, an Awesome Neighbor & a Good Friend. Our Family will truly miss him.

The Anemone's

Anonymous said...

Thank you Cooper, Irene, and Annie-bones. What a wonderful way to honor my husband. He touched so many lives and will be greatly missed. I've tried to write my personal feelings about him but can't at this time.
My heart goes out to all of you who are struggling with this loss. I know exactly what you are going through. Tom is watching us all and trying to help us cope with his passing. He is my angel now and I'm sure yours. Please remember to laugh as that is what Tom would want us all to do. Thank you all for your love and support. Cynthia