Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm no Harriet

In a rare fit of domesticity I made corn and potato chowder with fresh corn bread for dinner tonight. First I went to the store to buy all the stuff. Then I started chopping, slicing, puree-ing, mixing and cooking and baking. I toiled on as the afternoon disappeared. We ate in about 10 minutes and the clean-up began.
Who does this? I asked in exhaustion.
Does what? Irene wanted to know.
This, I said pointing dramatically to the messed up kitchen.
Who spends their entire afternoon and evening cooking and cleaning? And then does it all over again the next day!?
Well, Irene said. Harriet did it.
Yeah, well I'm no Harriet, I said.
That's okay, Irene consoled me. I'm no Ozzie either.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But it was the BEST!..... So tasty. Won't you please do it again soon Harriet?

So Satisfied Ozzie.

Simple Recipes said...

Harriet and Ozzie??? Sounds like a great meal...who cares about the clean up...just enjoy the moment:) how come we didn't get a meal like that???

CJGallegos said...

Thanks, Irene.

Janet, you've never tasted my cookng!

Coney Island Beach Girl said...

Hi Cooper -
I used to be Harriet two lifetimes ago and it looked like Purposeful work - shop, make a mess, create, clean up the mess. That's when they wrote The Joy of Cooking and brownie covered faces smiled back at us to encourage us to get up the next day and do it all over again. Hurray for the simple life :-)

smartz said...

Since my life feels like it's on hold until I get a house, I've turned to cooking. It's healthier than some of the other options I've chosen in the past!

CJGallegos said...

Oh, Smartz: "Way".