Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Fair-weather vegetarianism

I gave up eating meat about 17 years ago while sitting in a stuffed chair in a rented cabin near Lake Tahoe in the middle of a July snowstorm. I'd spent the afternoon reading John Robbin's Diet for a New America and declared myself meat free somewhere in the middle of the Animal Agriculture chapter. I don't think I could go back to my rib smacking, chicken crunching days even if my doctor said my life depended on it.
BUT, my noble resolve shifted a little when Annie Bones came into our house 2 1/2 years ago. I began cooking and cutting up chicken and turkey for my dog. Today I marched gamely into the kitchen to cook a beef liver for Annie B. for the first time because I read it was vital to her health. I got as far as handling the sticky little package before calling for reinforcements. Apparently I still have a line to draw and this was it.
I recognize hypocrisy. I don't pretend to be perfect. I don't want to anger the goddesses.

3 comments:

AMGallegos said...

I don't know about meat, but I gave up liver after being served raw pork liver by a street vendor in Kuala Lumpur.

AMGallegos said...

...oh yeah, it had a raw egg plopped on top too.

CJGallegos said...

Well, that would do it for me!