Monday, February 18, 2008

Packing heat


I once worked as a waitress in an old cafe on a country road. I was no good. I spilled scalding coffee on people, mixed up orders and dropped silverware. My boss was a big man in a suit and slicked back hair and several diamond rings. All day long friends of his would drop by and they'd all go into the back kitchen. My boss always told me no matter what he was not to be disturbed back there.
One day I had some kind of mayday event and I threw caution to the wind and slipped back into those murky depths. There he was with his suited, bejeweled friends. On the counter were stacks of money and two hand guns. My boss looked up startled and screamed, "Didn't I tell you never to come in here?" I quickly retreated.
I guess that's what they mean when they say, "if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen". (that was my last day at the old cafe)

3 comments:

AMGallegos said...

Every indication pointed to you becoming a gun moll, but instead, you became my Mom!

CJGallegos said...

I did become a gun moll. I was sentenced to community service in the High Desert. While you were in Phelan Elementary I was picking up trash along the road in my orange jump suit.

AMGallegos said...

Really? Again, something I did not know....but then again, there were a lot of people collecting things on the side of desert roads in those days.