Monday, April 28, 2008

The golfer

During part of our childhood my brother and I lived in Van Nuys in the San Fernando Valley. Because of its proximity to Hollywood a lot of actors lived in the area. Andy Devine leased his swimming pool to the city and every week my dad dropped us off for a couple of hours. I was in my aspiring actress period and would spend my 2 hours standing at the chain link fence watching for "Jingles" to appear. One day he did. I expected him to look like Bill Hickok's sidekick but he looked more like a golfer. I was disappointed to say the least and almost didn't mind not being "discovered".

2 comments:

AMGallegos said...

I pride myself on my knowledge of trivia, but I actually have no idea who Andy Devine or Jingles are.

CJGallegos said...

During the 50s there was a TV and movie cowboy named Wild Bill Hickok. His sidekick is the pictured, "Jingles".