Friday, September 14, 2007

In the fields



Anyone driving on Hwy 101 around Salinas and Monterey in California has probably seen the work of artist John Cerney. For more than 20 years he's been documenting the life of farm works in the field.

He lives simply in a corner of his workshop in a corregated metal warehouse in Salinas where he works 12 hours a day crafting these larger than life figures. He doesn't believe in galleries. His work is scattered along the farm country roadways.

I've never seen this one before. Looks a little like he's put his mom out to pasture...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CJ Gallegos,
Hey that's the best photo I've seen of my mural in King City yet.....I don't have a good telephoto lens. It isn't finished yet. She will have some large plywood wildflowers surrounding her at the bottom portion. She is the mother of a friend of mine in Salinas (she died at 96 last year) It is entitled Old Woman of the Mountain, and I simply wanted to place a large (40 feet) portrait on a hillside. I wish I had made it a little bigger, as I don't think people can really see her 'pensive' expression as they drive by. I appreciate that you noticed it and included it among your other fine photographs. John Cerney

Anonymous said...

John Cerney! I just went back over some "old" blogs and found your comment! Nice to hear from you. I love your work. I've lived in Santa Cruz for almost 30 years and drive through "your" area often. I always try to notice your new figures. I look forward to seeing the wildflowers. Keep up the good work. I just love people who create art and "spread' it around! Thanks for the comment, Cooper G.