Thursday, September 27, 2007

Miscreant Meditators

My Buddhist friend, Sally, (see blog post 7-4-07) and I were camping at Pima Osling a Tibetan Retreat Center in the Santa Cruz Mountains. We were on a 4 day silent retreat and we spent our days in silent walking and sitting meditation, our nights alone in single tents.

One early morning with the mist still rising off the mountain there was a "tap tap tap" on my tent flap. It was Sally. "Come on", she whispered. She led me out into the huge field where we were camped. We spent our morning giggling and whispering through a yoga workout. "Sally," I whispered. "We're not supposed to be talking!" "The Buddha won't tell," Sally said. And for me in that moment with the rising sun shinning off her wise face she was the Buddha.

2 comments:

AMGallegos said...

This is a great memory! The Buddha won't tell...and neither will we!

Katie Bowen said...

Beautiful post.