Friday, July 27, 2007

The Book Thief

This morning at the flea (market) I was pawing through a pile of books on the asphalt and came across "The Book Thief". I read the jacket...the story of a young girl who steals books from libraries during Hitler's heyday. She distributes the books in her neighborhood to people without books. I was going to buy it until I read it is narrated by "Death". I just couldn't handle that this morning so I put the book back in the pile and went on to another stack.

A woman came along, picked up "The Book Thief".

woman: have you read this one?
me: yes, I did.
woman: wow...I've never met anyone besides me who's read this book! (woman elated) It was so...
me: strange?
woman: yes! that's it exactly! But the....
me: the death narrator?
woman: yes, the thing about the narrator being Death!
me: personally I found it a little hard to take.
woman: oh, me too.
The woman then put the book down and moved to the next stall. I don't know why I told her I'd read the book when I hadn't. But I did seem to understand it better than she did....

3 comments:

AMGallegos said...

I read it. Oh, just kidding.

CJGallegos said...

But didn't you think it was strange?

Anonymous said...

I'd read that book in a heartbeat. I want to know how his (see how I assume it's a man) thinks, how can I trick him, delay the inevitable.