Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pain scale

When we were checking Irene into the ER room earlier this week the advance guard said to her,
"On a scale of 1 to 10 what's your pain level?"
Irene: "5"
Later in the waiting room I said, "Don't ever say 5 again or you'll never be seen."
Irene: "What should I say?"
Me: "7. Always say 7."
During the next 30 hours while waiting in a hospital bed for a surgeon Irene said "7" every time she was asked about pain and they'd adjust her meds accordingly.
36 hours later when she was waking up in recovery after surgery the nurse said, "How old are you?"
Irene: "7".
Me: "No, she's 68."
Irene: What, are you trying to get me killed?"

4 comments:

AMGallegos said...

Both of you are real troopers for putting up with everything you had to deal with during this ordeal! Irene, we hope you feel better soon!

smartz said...

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal and glad to hear that you are past the worst part. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Anonymous said...

Yes you two are amazing strong women of the highest order! Sorry this all happened-you should have been treated bettter. We have been thinking of you so much.

This blog entry is so so funny! I loved it! The situation is awful of course but the tale is a crack up.

Wendy

Unknown said...

I can't wait until you kick those people's @$$. You are filing a complaint, right?