Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Manson manners



In the early 70s I was a "welfare worker" in the Mojave Desert. Charles Manson's family lived nearby at an isolated ranch. Many of them lingered after his arrest.

He was rumored to have many children with many women. At least once a month this straggly devoted group came into our office to take care of business. Many of them were my "clients".

"The Manson Family is here" my co-worker would say, happy they were "mine" and not "hers". The lobby would be filled with tattered blond toddlers and their hippy moms. I always scurried out.

It was never considered good etiquette to keep the Manson Family waiting.

5 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Where do you spose Charles Manson got a piano??? The ex-wife of our good friend is Manson's psychologist at Corcoran St. Prison. He gives her the creeps. But then, she doesn't like anybody.

CJGallegos said...

Really? Well, that seals the deal. The groundsman from the Tate house who was murdered was from my little home town. (El Monte, but I can't really say the name outloud.)

AMGallegos said...

Well, my mom was the social worker for the Manson Family!

AMGallegos said...

...oh yeah, I also once knew the son of Jim Jones.

CJGallegos said...

Serial killers run in our family apparently.