Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Secret weapon

One of the worst jobs I ever had was as receptionist for a colonel at George Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert. I could barely type so I kept a large purse on the floor near the typewriter where I furtively dumped all my ruined forms. I took them home at night, to my ranch out in the desert where I had no electricity, running water or phone.
My boss gave me a list with pictures of all the different ranks of soldiers so when someone came in the front door I'd know how to greet them. I took the list home and studied it by Coleman lamplight every night but I just couldn't get it.
Finally the colonel said I was being transferred. Said it just wasn't a "good fit". Do you think?
They sent me to a Quonset hut on the outskirts of the base where I worked on a big machine imputing military secrets.
Ah, a much better fit!

2 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Yes. How do you think I was able to retire so young?

AMGallegos said...

I always knew you were up to something top secret out there!