Friday, August 17, 2007

Lo Siento

In 1955 when I was 13 years old a friend in a little village in Mexico, Pete Carreon, taught me to drive.

We went out in his old car at night on the back dirt roads outside of "town". I was an energetic learner, fast and fearless. Between the potholes and my enthusiasm the car was pretty demolished.

Since Pete didn't speak English my mother taught me a little apology speech to deliver to Pete whose only transportation had been severely compromised.

(excuse my in-exact and mis-spelled Spanish but this is the way I learned this speech) I said: Lo siento que yo quebre su automobile y cau-se ca-se poncho la llanta de su caro. Alguin dia yo voy a comprar para usted otro caro exactamente como este. (loosely translated: I'm sorry I broke your car and caused your tire to go flat. One day I will buy you another car just like this one.)

I wonder if Pete is still waiting?

3 comments:

AMGallegos said...

I guess now we know it was karma when I wreaked the jeep on my very first attempt at driving. Do you remember? I rammed the gateway column as I attempted to pull into the driveway of the Snowbird, crushing the column to pieces. And right in front of my best friend and little brother too.

AMGallegos said...

...oh yeah, lo siento.

(I hope it's not too late!)

CJGallegos said...

What about the "yo voy a comprar" part?