Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Nature of Friendship

Christina cuts my hair. And she's been cutting it for at least 15 years. Ever since I showed up at The Ritz in the mall with a homecut straight out of a book I bought at the flea. Christina works downtown at Jillz Hair Design now with owner Jill.

I've never socialized with Christina, been to her house or she to mine and yet I consider her a friend. She's funny, creative and smart. She makes vintage clothing in a little studio behind her house, co-mothers two labs and used to be the cover "girl" on specialized greeting cards in Santa Cruz. And even though our contact is limited to the time it takes to cut my hair every 4 to 5 weeks we have a friendship.

It's interesting and heartening to understand all the ways there are to have friends in this life...and how much richer a life can be by just paying attention to these collective encounters.

2 comments:

AMGallegos said...

Nice post. Maybe if I got my haircut more often than every 8-12 months I would have more friends!

CJGallegos said...

Yeah, it worked for me!