Thursday, December 11, 2008

Road trip

Today I saw an old man 1/2 block from an assisted living facility. He was using a walker and was in heavy traffic in the road surrounded by trucks, cars and buses. I drove on, went shopping and on my way home I saw the man again.
He'd gotten about a block from where I'd first seen him. He looked determined. He definitely looked as if he had a destination in mind. Was he escaping? Going shopping, heading home for the holidays? Should I have intercepted him, wrestled away his walker, spirited him into my car and forced him back to the "home"?
He looked pretty happy to me. He looked pretty free too.

2 comments:

smartz said...

Your description of the old man reminded me of a character from Aloft by Chang-Rae Lee. It's a good read: dysfunctional families, sadness, redemption.

CJGallegos said...

My kind of read...;-) (I don't know this book, I'll check it out.)