Monday, February 23, 2009

Mourning Alice

A month ago I spent an afternoon at an outpost desert bar playing pool and listening to old country and western on the jukebox. Yesterday a friend emailed to tell me the owner of the bar, Alice, had died suddenly of a heart attack. The future of the bar is in question. I was saddened to hear about Alice, even though I never met her. Really what I am mourning is the end of a way of life, the off-the-grid kind of life where you can really hang your hat.

5 comments:

Simple Recipes said...

We did get the privlege of meeting alice..she was a crusty ole gal...lost her husband don't remember how many years ago? Always had a drink in her hand and knew everyone...smile on her face and TJ's probably won't ever be the same??? Glad we got to take you guys there and experience the desert pub!!!!

CJGallegos said...

I hope someone good, (you and Stan?) take over!

Simple Recipes said...

We think you and Irene would be great owners????

smartz said...

OK! So I'll sacrifice myself to be a "regular"!

Simple Recipes said...

oh, my have you seen the "regulars"..it is a great place and coop and irene would fit in so perfectly