Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sink or swim


This morning at Rio Del Mar
there was a woman in a full length black spaghetti strap dress
wading deeper and deeper into the surf.
I couldn't help but think about a friend of ours who a couple of years ago drove her car to the end of the Capitola wharf, climbed over the railing and plunged in. Her body was found 5 days later in Seaside, a few miles from Santa Cruz. She was 86 years old.
So this morning I thought, should I stop this woman? Or is she just frolicking on a very beautiful fall morning? Hard to tell who needs saving and who doesn't.

1 comment:

AMGallegos said...

Recently I had a similar experience on one of the discussion sites I run and the ending was not a happy one. There was nothing we could have done, but I wish there would have been.