Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A poet's eye

I bumped into Adrienne Rich, leading feminist poet of the 20th and probably 21st centuries today. Not literally but I found myself driving beside her this morning on my way to town. She had a bumper sticker that said, "I (heart) Steinbeck".

I've never met Ms. Rich but since she lives in my neighborhood I do see her from time to time at Trader's or on the road. The only conversation I ever had with her was at Capitola Book Cafe. She was trying to park her car in a very crowded lot and she was being cut off by a Brink's armored car. I stepped in and directed traffic a little so she could park. I then went into the bookstore and was browsing when I heard her voice. She came up to me and thanked me for helping her with the traffic situation. We went on to have a short conversation about the parking of cars.

I wondered this morning as I threaded my way through the holiday throngs watching Ms. Rich from the corner of my eye, what she was seeing. I wondered how she must see things differently. I imagined she sees this same crowded roadway but that she sees it with the eye of a poet.

2 comments:

AMGallegos said...

I cooked for her when she was a regular at India Joze...always in right at 5:00 p.m.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wonder if she recognizes the family connection?